Patchquick Trophy Motocross - Wednesday 10th June 2009


WHITEWAY BARTON Wednesday 10th June 2009

Tom Church Lifts the Patchquick Trophy

Wednesday 10th June it was the 59th running of the Patchquick Trophy Motocross event which again had kindly been sponsored by local Kingsteignton firm Phoenix Tools. This years event had attracted many of the countries top stars as well as local talent who were all keen to win that prestigious Trophy which in its self is worth over £20,000 and to get there name engraved on it along side many legends from the past like Geoff Ward who won it back in 1951on a AJS, John Tribble in 1960 on a BSA, Dave Bickers in 1966 on a CZ, Bryan Goss who has won it four times in 1963 on a Greeves, 1967 on a Husqvarna and 1973 & 74 on a Maico plus many others, and of course local Cullompton based Dave Thorpe who has had his name inscribed on it 5 times in total in 1982, 83, 86, 87 and more recently in 2003.

The track was in perfect condition for the Expert practice and qualifying, but soon after the heavens were to open up and it poured down, but this didn't put off nigh on 2,500 spectators who had turned up to watch.

Luke Wyatt fights with the mud

In the Patchquick Trophy races the night belonged to Tom Church on the Buildbase CCM as he was to put up a domineering performance in front of many of his local fans with a hattrick of wins, but there was drama especially in the opening race as there was some congestion on the first corner with Church just managing to keep upright and hit the front ahead of leading MX2 rider Darren Shears and Luke Hill, but it wasn't so good for last years Trophy winner Jordan Rose, James Noble or Jason Dougan as they were to go down. Church was to pull away from the word go, Martin Barr who had posted the quickest time in qualifying didn't have the best of starts was making up ground all the time and by the end of the first lap he was up into 5th and on the second lap he got the better of David Yelland and Hill and moved up into 3rd. Shears was to come off on lap 2 which meant Barr was now running 2nd, but a good nine seconds adrift of Church who was still pulling away at the front, Noble had thought his way through and on lap 3 he was in 4th, but breathing all over him was Dougan, desperate to get pass and these two were neck and neck on the veranda section with Dougan keeping the tight line as they dropped down, but unfortunatley they were to collide and ended up in a heap. Noble was to get going again but Dougan was hurt and needed assistance and was later taken to Hospital for an X-ray on his leg, which was later revealed that he had possibly dislocated his hip. Noble had tried to get back in touch and had got back up into 6th in the closing stages, but with 2 laps remaining his race was over as his clutch had burnt out and he was forced to retire, but no one was on par with Church who took the win by some 54 seconds ahead of Barr with Rose taking 3rd. By the time of the second moto the track had become a bit of a quagmire after the two support races with some really deep ruts in places, but that didn’t worry Church as it was he again who had the best start in the second moto ahead of Rose and Nathan Parker. Barr was there in 4th just ahead of leading MX2 rider who again was Shears, but he had Noble climbing all over him towards the end of the first lap looking to get by, but on lap 2 Noble’s race was over as he was to pull out with a mechanical problem. Church had pulled a lead of 8 seconds by the end of lap 3 and just as he did in the first race eased away lap by lap to win again by some considerable margin with Rose 2nd and Barr 3rd. In the last race unfortunatley there were many riders missing for the start and this time it was Rose with a flyer into the first corner on the STR Honda ahead of Barr and Church, but Rose was to come to a halt on the third corner much to his disgust and his bike wouldn’t start again with what was thought was water in the electrics. Barr took over at the front and tried to shake off Church who was right there in his wheel marks for the first couple of laps until on lap 3 when Church was to make his move on Barr and hit the front going up the big hill and from there on was untroubled and with a clear track in front of him pulled away and went on to take the chequered flag by 40 seconds ahead of Barr with Luke Mellows taking 3rd.

Tom Church blasts through the Kingsteignton mud......


Patchquick Trophy Experts

1st Tom Church (450f Buildbase CCM)

2nd Martin Barr (450f Relentless Suzuki)

3rd Luke Mellows (450f Meredith Suzuki)

4th Luke Hill (500 Maunders Racing Honda)

5th Darren Shears (250f M D Racing/St Blazey Suzuki)

6th Will Worden (250f Wheeldon Suzuki)

7th Jordan Rose (450f STR/Proppa Honda)

8th Nathan Parker (450f STR/Proppa Honda)

9th David Anthony (250f Kawasaki) 10th Ross Flashman (250f Flashman M/c Honda)

Support A Group

1st Ty Kellett (250 Yamaha)

2nd Tristan Rowe (250f Honda)

3rd Liam Wright (250 Suzuki)

4th Gary Down (450f Honda)

5th Bradley Bolitho (250f Kawasaki)

6th Curtis Hunt (450f Suzuki)

Support B Group

1st Simon Maunder (125 Yamaha)

2nd Shaun Stowell (250 KTM)

3rd Brian Hutchings (450f Kawasaki)

4th Steve Chugg (450f Kawasaki)

5th Ben Wills (250f Honda)

6th Michael Rich (250f Kawasaki)

Report and Images by Dave Rich

For addional photos taken on the day by Becky Widdicombe

please visit


West of England MC, Design by Darren Smith South Devon IT